Jat Quota Stir/Andolan Continues, Bill to be presented in Haryana Assembly, Rajnath Singh Appeals for Peace, Jat Quota, Haryana Burning, Gurgaon Rohtak Delhi Haryana Quota Stir
22Feb 2016 – Latest on Jat Andolan/Crisis
- 29 Foreign nationals rescued .
- The Jat agitation, that claimed 12 lives, may end soon as the government on Sunday decided to bring a bill for granting OBC status to Jats.
- The decision was taken at a high-level meeting between Home Minister Rajnath Singh, Jat leaders, National security Advisor, Army Chief and Delhi Police Commissioner. After the meeting, BJP leader Anil Jain, who is in charge of party affairs in Haryana, said the Jat community will get reservation in jobs and a bill will be brought in the next session of the Haryana assembly in this regard.
- Properties worth crores have been damaged by the violent agitators. With protestors blocking rail tracks, Railways have suffered a loss of more than Rs 100 crores. While the opposition leaders are being blamed for stoking fires, some BJP leaders too are being accused of having initially backed the agitation.
Who are Jats
The Jat people – are a traditionally agricultural community in Northern India and Pakistan. Originally pastoralists in the lower Indus river-valley of Sindh, Jats migrated north into the Punjab region, Delhi, Rajputana, and the western Gangetic Plain in late medieval times. Primarily of Hindu, Muslim and Sikh faiths, they now live mostly in the Indian States of Haryana, Punjab, Delhi, Rajasthan and Uttar Pradesh and the Pakistani provinces of Punjab and Sindh.
The Jat community saw radical social changes in the 17th century, the Hindu Jats took up arms against the Mughal Empire during the late 17th and early 18th century.The Hindu Jat kingdom reached its zenith under Maharaja Suraj Mal of Bharatpur (1707–1763).The Jat community of the Punjab region played an important role in the development of the martial Khalsa Panth of Sikhism; they are more commonly known as the Jat Sikhs. By the 20th century, the landowning Jats became an influential group in several parts of North India, including Haryana, Punjab, Western Uttar Pradesh, Rajasthan, and Delhi.Over the years, several Jats abandoned agriculture in favour of urban jobs, and used their dominant economic and political status to claim higher social status. Quota demands ‘accepted’, go back home: Haryana CM tells Jat protesters – With the Jat agitation escalating, the BJP government in Haryana on Saturday said it has “accepted” the demands of the community which is seeking quota under OBC category.
What do the Jats Want/Demands
- Jats have been demanding quota in jobs and educational institutions under OBC category.The agitators on Friday demanded a “written assurance from the government”, saying they “cannot be befooled with hollow promises every time”.
- Jats had been included in the Centre’s OBC list thanks to the UPA goverment which made this move in the final year of its power in 2014. Earlier the National Commission for Backward Classes (NCBC) had rejected demand to include Jats in the Centre’s OBC list, but the UPA government overruled it and gave reservation to the Jats in several states including Haryana, Himachal Praadesh, Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Uttarakhand, Madhya Pradesh, Gujarat and parts of Rajasthan with eye on the Jat’s vote bank.